Everyone loves a good backyard get together and this tasty garlic, rosemary, red wine marinated lamb kabab recipe will be the hit of the party. With the taste of the Greek Mediterranean, yummy garlic roasted potatoes, spinach feta salad and crusty artisan bread, you may not be able to kick folks out. Pair with an Assyrtiko or Chianti and the meal is complete.
Makes about 12 kababs
- 1 lb (455g) Lamb, cubed into about 36 pieces
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 24 pearl onions
- 24 medium-sized mushrooms
- 12 Bamboo/Metal skewers
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 35 cloves minced garlic
- 3/4 cup of dry red wine
- 1 tbsp fresh, chopped rosemary
Prepare the lamb:
- In a sealable container mix: lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, red wine and rosemary leaves.
- Add lamb, mix well to coat thoroughly in the marinade.
- Cover bowl and for best results, allow to marinate overnight. If in a time crunch, marinate AT LEAST 20 min before cooking.
Yoghurt dressing – mix the following:
- 8 oz (225g) plain yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1 tsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- If using bamboo skewers: soak in cold water for 10 min to prevent the ends of stick from burning.
- Heat up the grill and while it is heating up, thread skewers: lamb-tomato-onion-mushroom-lamb-tomato-onion-mushroom-lamb.
- Cook on grill for 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so until lamb is done (slightly pink in the center for best flavor). You can baste the marinade on the skewer as it cooks.
- After cooking, place on serving plate and drizzle with Yogurt Dressing before serving.
Favorite wines to serve:
- Assyrtiko: Crisp Greek white like Argyros Estate Assyrtiko 2014
- Chianti: Tenuta di Nozzole Chianti Classico Riserva 2012
- Rioja: La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza Reserva 2007
- Bordeaux: Chateau Barreyre Bordeaux Superieur 2010
Let me know how it turned out or if you made any cool and tasty changes to the recipe!
à votre santé
Elizabeth, the “Hippy Winer”